The Tentpoles, Events, Music & Specials Production Group
Tentpoles, Events, Music & Specials (TEMS) is a cross channel group (BET, CMT, MTV/VH-1, Nickelodeon & Paramount +) primarily focused on “in-house” or “internal” productions. The group has overview of tentpoles, events, music series, video programming series, and specials whether in-house or 3rd party, as well as licensed productions. Examples of in-house productions this group oversees: MTV Movie & TV Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, CMT Music Awards, BET Awards, Black Girls Rock, NAACP Image Awards, Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards, CMT Crossroads, CMT Artist of the Year, Unplugged, Paramount + Cradle to Stage, Yo! MTV Raps, Behind the Music, and much more. As in-house production, we oversee all aspects of physical production; budgeting, scheduling, vendor negotiations, on-site execution, and ensuring productions are adhering to ViacomCBS standards and policies.
Must have at least 5 years of “hands on, on-site” production experience and be a self-starter, motivated, quick thinking, flexible and thorough. Ability to manage small and larger scale productions simultaneously, either internal or 3rd party. Excels in a demanding and fast paced environment requiring proactive and positive thinking and must exercise good judgment, show initiative and be a team player. He or she should be able to manage multiple production responsibilities and projects with a focus on organization and attention to detail, while being flexible and capable of prioritizing shifting production and business needs. Must possess ability to anticipate production challenges and address in a professional manner. Be a continuous promoter and supporter of a multi-cultural inclusive workplace and transparency. Position supports each inhouse production team as needed.
Overview & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Line Producers, PM staff, as well as, internal producers, and executives to examine the needs of each production.
- Create and supervise small to medium size production budgets and assist in ensuring all aspects of production run smoothly.
- Manage, review and update all production expenses on a regular and ongoing basis, keeping line producer and other production executives informed of all potential cost issues and final project actual
- Work with line producers on production schedules to ensure all work stays inside budgetary boundaries and time constraints.
- Hire crew and project-based staff, negotiate rates of pay for production personnel
- Negotiate costs and approve booking resources, equipment and suppliers needed for each production.
- Work within the structure of the company’s financial software systems, create POs as needed
- Ensure prompt payment to vendors and crew by working closely with production finance and production accounting.
- Manage location bookings and arrange for necessary permissions, permits and risk assessments; as well as ensuring on-site locations are well maintained with catering, medics, dressing rooms, and other facilities needed to have a safe and healthy environment.
- Work with Line Producer and necessary counterparts to ensure that Covid-19 Protocols, health and safety rules, legal agreements, and union agreements are communicated and implemented.
- Set supervision for shoots, set-up, and load-out during on-site production as needed
- Coordinates with other internal departments as needed to ensure all legal and safety parameters are met and all deliverables are received and distributed appropriately.
- Ensure that all production hires have the necessary skills to perform their functions competently (effectively and efficiently) and professionally.
- Work with other internal groups (digital, social, press, promos, integrated marketing) to help their teams successfully capture content on-site used to support programming.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to create clear and effective lines of communication.
- Ensure that all direct reports appropriately adhere to all relevant policies and procedures on an ongoing basis
- Ensure group and team Sharepoint sites are updated regularly and stay current
Maintain and monitor all relevant production systems and processes to ensure ongoing proactive supply of this service to clients during pre-production, production and postproduction phases of a project, including, but not limited to:
- Covid-19 Protocols * Post Production * Talent Logistics * Travel * Staffing * Location Logistics * Crewing * Legal * Technical Mgmt. & Facilities *Insurance & Production Risk * Vendors * Rights and Clearances * Design and Staging *Glamour * Lighting * Production Accounting
- Attend technical skill-building and professional development workshops on an annual basis
- Stay current with all relevant industry trends as they apply to the overall job responsibilities
- Minimum of 5 years “hands on, on-site” experience with progressively increasing responsibility in production management roles for television or film
- Previous experience creating and managing production budgets
- Prior supervisory experience required
- Requires a non-traditional work schedule and travel as needed
- Experience negotiating terms and rates with vendors, suppliers, and personnel
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with personnel at all levels, from production assistants, crew members, production staff, and vendors, to producers and executives
- Some knowledge of post-production processes preferred.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively and be able to troubleshoot production issues that may arise with diplomacy and professionalism.
- Excellent organizational skills are critical.
- Must exhibit leadership characteristics and abilities.
- Must have strong team building skills and a management style/attitude that projects calm and confidence in potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to lead and delegate responsibilities appropriately and effectively.
- Ability to manage conflict effectively and give constructive feedback to subordinate staff.
- Willingness to apply skills across brands, as needed, and determined by supervisor. (i.e.PM for CMTMA, PC for VMA, oversee health, safety & security for BET or Nickelodeon shows, etc.)
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to align performance with the goals of the department and business.
- Proficient in Movie Magic, MS Office (Word, Excel, One Drive, Power Point, Teams, etc.), Zoom, Slack, Smart Accounting, SAP, ARIBA, Concur, Scenechronize.
- Act in an ethical and professional manner at all times, adhering to Viacom’s code of conduct policies.
- Position supervises the following positions: Production Coordinators, Travel Managers, and other freelance personnel.
- Position reports to: Senior Director, Director or Line Producer of Production
Job ID: 7878