We are seeking an experienced Production Manager to help manage both internal and third-party productions of documentary series. Responsibilities include establishing and curating vendor and staff/crew relations, reviewing budgets and supporting/suggesting best practices from pre-production through to delivery.
People who excel on this team are positive, kind, self-motivated, flexible of thought, and able to juggle multiple responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization. We value people who are creative problem-solvers, have great judgment, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-Production/Setup of Show
- Work with Finance, Legal, Creative, Studio Technology, Post and external production teams to build production schedules and workflows to balance high creative ambition with cost.
- Set up productions to return to work safely.
- Work with Showrunners, EICs, and Line Producers to prepare and vet show budgets and schedules, providing feedback internally and externally on viability and risks.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to lock budget
- Track and manage all related costs, keeping stakeholders apprised of status
- Help ensure that productions run smoothly, remain safe, meet deadlines and stay within budget.
- Create/Help inform and draft overall production schedule.
- Collaborate with internal teams and external production team to lock schedule.
- Troubleshoot and communicate all changes to schedule to internal and external teams.
- Lead or assist with search and hire of key production staff.
- Determine key vendors to accommodate creative vision and relationships, tax incentives, budget needs, location issues.
- Help maintain/curate preferred vendor list.
- Ongoing Production Support
- Problem-solving as issues arise throughout production and establishing an open dialogue with external production partners.
- Working with Production HR and Diligence teams when issues arise to ensure crews and participants are treated with respect both on and off set.
- 6+ years experience with documentary series production management at an executive level covering both in-field and network or production company roles.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and lead both internal teams and external partners with empathy.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment simultaneously supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery).
- Familiar and experienced with the current trends and workflows for both HD and 4K.
- Inclusive team player who operates in a collaborative, fast-paced, team-oriented setting.
- Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information.
- Willingness to continue learning to ensure understanding of the current production process, gear, and communication tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multitask.
- Proficiency in Movie Magic Budgeting, Google Suite, and management level knowledge of post workflows and systems.
- Strong working knowledge of budgeting including market rates on labor, gear and facilities as well as guild and union guidelines.
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent industry experience.