Assists assignment manager and assignment editors in carrying out responsibilities of assignment desk, including coordinating and organizing daily field crew video and feeds, locating and retrieving file and archival materials, answering telephones, making beat checks, and assisting the assignment editors and reporters in setting up stories.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize daily field drives and retrieve file video. Use Latakoo/Tons/Bitcentral programs to send/receive video files from the field.
- Makes beat checks of police and fire departments.
- Log/transcribe daily video feeds and press conferences.
- Answer viewer phone calls, taking potential stories from viewers.
- Check email for possible story ideas and news-worthy events.
- Listen to viewers' complaints; accepts criticism in an even-handed manner; and offers suggestions or answers as appropriate.
- Watch/log daily competition newscasts. Monitor social media for potential story updates or ideas.
- Send out reporter updates for each show.
- Assist affiliates with video/requests.
- Add newsworthy events, press releases, information to the daybook.
- Request video/photos from the public, using our legal guidelines.