The Director, Publicity is responsible for creating and overseeing the implementation of communications and program publicity campaigns for STARZ network series. This role requires a strategic thinker with creative, out-of-the-box ideas, strong public relations skills and solid press relationships across multiple platforms. Takes initiative but is willing to collaborate with different disciplines and stakeholders, and able to work with high-level executives. Must have strong written, verbal and organizational skills, take a solutions-oriented approach, exercise good judgment, adapt quickly under pressure and demonstrate leadership skills.
The Director, Publicity will lead and manage the development and implementation of all efforts around publicity on assigned STARZ original series, including but not limited to developing and executing a comprehensive PR strategy, collaborating effectively with cross-functional partners, press outreach, the writing of press releases, press kits and presentations, events, securing media exposure for talent, producers, key executives, the positioning of assigned series with press and in the industry, and communications to EPs and Talent.
- Develop and execute strategic and innovative publicity campaigns for Starz Original Series and talent.
- Manage large-scale, high-visibility projects and possess excellent time management and organization skills, with a reputation for flawless execution and management
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines with budgetary constraints and changing priorities (must be extremely flexible and versatile). Must be able to handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Superb written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential as is an ability to speak and think clearly and creatively and generate new ideas on a regular basis.
- Identify and successfully pitch programming, campaigns and initiatives to media, including long leads, dailies, weeklies and online publications; as well as secure electronic bookings; respond to media requests for information and interviews.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with members of the press (broadcast, radio, print, online, blogs, trades, etc.).
- Coordinate media opportunities and brief/prep/media train talent and executives for media interviews, speaking opportunities and panels.
- Monitor competitive landscape, providing updates on key communication and press activity; Monitor and stay ahead of industry trends.
- Organize and/or support press events, including seminars, media briefings, screenings, partnerships (consumer and non-profit), media tours, satellite and radio media tours, presentations for the twice-yearly Television Critics Association tour and San Diego and New York Comic-Con.
- Develop and execute awards campaign strategy for key series/talent in coordination with VP Publicity and awards consultants.
- Manage budget for all initiatives including press kit development, press initiatives, talent travel expenses, etc., with a keen eye for ROI across all PR functions.
- Oversee launch memos and wrap reports for STARZ Original Series reflecting all press coverage and ad equivalency.
- Liaise with production, affiliates, marketing, and digital/social teams, maintaining the flow of information across the various teams. Must possess the ability/willingness to collaborate across groups and disciplines.
- Manage and coordinate Festivals (Sundance, TIFF, SXSW, etc.) as it pertains to your series
- Interact independently with producers and on-air talent to prepare them for interviews.
- Manage Unit Publicist when applicable to ensure all PR and marketing materials are produced seamlessly across production and talent.
- Manage relationships with outside public relations agencies and consultants.
- Leverage social media platforms and incorporate latest technology in PR practices.
- Manage the daily press clips process, prioritizing by importance.
- Travel to and represent Starz at various events.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 7 years of experience at a media company or PR/promotion agency (entertainment industry experience preferred).
- Background in Publicity/Communications/Corporate Communications
- They have relationships with key media as well as the ability to build and maintain connections with key journalists and social media influencers.
- Excellent organizational and written/oral communication skills.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, perform under pressure and pay close attention to detail.
- Strong MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
- Knowledge and competency of AirTable and/or Asana preferred
- Knowledge of the digital media space (including social media).
- A passion for entertainment and popular culture.
- A desire to learn and grow within the entertainment PR field
- Knowledge of STARZ programming