Hulu’s Originals department is seeking an Executive Director, Unscripted Content Production to join our growing team. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing physical production on a slate of projects being produced by third party studios for Hulu’s rapidly expanding slate of Original unscripted documentaries and series. Applicants should have a strong knowledge base of budgeting, scheduling, and all physical production aspects from pre-production through delivery. This role may also extend to ABC Entertainment projects based on candidate qualifications and experience.
- Oversee production by Hulu’s third-party studio/production company partners, from development through launch.
- Analyze and negotiate budgets and production schedules submitted by studios/production companies.
- Provide expert advice on aligning creative goals to Hulu's budget parameters.
- Track and monitor production spend, evaluate overage requests, propose recommendations for budget changes to meet internal targets.
- Work closely with the Hulu Content team to evaluate creative material from a production perspective and provide internal budget forecasting and target budgets prior to greenlight.
- Oversee and manage production and make sure we are on track to meet launch goals.
- Review and approve studio/production company crew hires, production personnel, etc.
- Evaluate and recommend potential production companies.
- Actively identify and evaluate alternative production models.
- Assess production risk and advise on locations, insurance, production bonds, etc.
- Prepare internal Production Reports for all assigned projects and update key stakeholders during weekly Production and Scheduling meetings.
- Lead communications regarding production matters throughout project lifecycle to ensure internal partners (Creative, Post, BA, Legal, Scheduling, Marketing, and PR) are always aligned.
- Constantly be focused on optimizing our Originals production process and management through technical advancements, workflow improvements and strategic ideas.
- 10+ years of work experience in unscripted production management, either freelance or as a studio executive at a Director level or higher. Scripted experience is a plus, but not necessary.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects physical production, from pre-production through delivery including music.
- Strong knowledge of production budgets, crew rates, union rates and rules, tax incentives, production locations, facilities, and market trends.
- Experience in domestic and international locations with producer and crew contacts preferred.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Extensive television/digital production contacts with vendors, producers, studios, executives, talent, etc.
- Passion for TV and new media, and strong desire to be part of an industry that is quickly changing.
- Great business judgment, proven critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to thrive in an evolving and fast-paced, flexible environment, prioritizing and handling multiple projects concurrently.
- A problem solver’s attitude and flexible, creative thinking.
- A sense of partnership with Creative, Post, Business Affairs, Legal Affairs, Marketing, and Finance teams.
- Hands-on knowledge of budgeting and production software, including Movie Magic Budgeting/Scheduling, various cost reporting software, Scenechronize, etc. preferred.
- Live within commuting distance from Hulu (LA)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Job ID 896815BR